Friday, March 12, 2010

What a wife!

It's not me, really. But it's what I aspire to.


So what was my inspiration to write? A couple of things. First off, Dennis always kisses me goodbye in the morning when he leaves for work. Sweet. This morning I thought how blessed I am to have husband who, after 30 years, STILL loves me. I am so amazed! Knowing me.


The second inspiration was a quote I saw on FB this week. It was just something silly, but is still an underlying belief among some people. (I was going to say non-Christians, but I think some Christians believe this.) that "Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams---If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore."


I thought about that. Careers can be pretty insidious. They demand everything, and what does one get in return?
I went to Proverbs 31. That woman isn't the 50's woman who was bored playing cards, sitting around and home watching soaps and ONLY cleaning house and making meals and taking care of children. This woman is a business woman! And she's not lazy. Nor does she misuse her time. She's dealing with men in the marketplace, buying, selling. She's looking for deals. I don't think our girls need to think the Christan wife cannot be a business woman, but I think that she can be an "excellent wife" by following her husband's godly lead.


I love these verses: "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life."


I've got a ways to go. But I pray that always I will do him good all my days.

2 comments:

mdiber said...

And what career is going to kiss you good bye every morning and every evening? What is the chance of it always loving you? Not that I'm against careers, but the quote assumed the 'lover' will walk off. False assumption.

Sharon said...

Interesting post, Rachael. My understanding of the Proverbs 31 woman is that all of her activity in the business world was done for the sake of her household, and centered around it. There is no indication that she was active in the business world because she needed an "identity" apart from her family. A good book addressing this issue is "Choices," by Mary Farrar. The author tracks societal changes that affected women's working lives, and explores the work of women in biblical times.