Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Farming, as it used to be

The family photo album has given me a first-hand look at farming and farm life less than 100 years ago. How quickly that lifestyle has gone! I'm not so sure it's been for the good, either. I heard yesterday that we spend less of our income for food than any time in our history. But I bet we're paying more for health insurance and drugs than any time in our history. I think I'd rather pay more for food.
If I could remember how to put these into a slide show it would make it easier to look at!
I found it very interesting to see WHAT they thought was worth photographing. They didn't have much money, but they recorded very everyday events!


 Must've been pretty proud of that stack of hay. I think this photo is from 1913. Even a wooden wagon.
 Huge stacks of corn cobs!
 Not sure if this is Sweden or America or even who this man is, but the horses look good!

 Out for an afternoon. Looks like something from Little House on the Prairie! My great-grandmother with a couple of great-aunts and a great-uncle (or is it my grandfather?)


A threshing machine?

So happy about the new calf!

 So many hens!
 I noticed several photos of family members holding kittens, cats and puppies. They loved animals!
 Is he plowing? Looks like about four horse here.
 This dog does this in several photos. These great uncles think they look pretty good. And "Mamma" is peeking out the window!

white hens now

 Ah, ironing in the fresh air! No need to be near the plug!
 The family all poses with their berries. Not sure what they are, but they're pretty proud!
 I wonder who's in charge here?
 Love these horses. Looks like they're off to work!
 Add some pigs to the sheep, cows and hens!
 More sheep
 And pigs
Grass-fed cows
Talk about diversified farming!

1 comment:

C and J said...

Great pics! Reminds me of living on the farm too.