But while I was scraping away the loose paint on the back of the house I thought of people that have inspired me. Hard-working people. Terrific, descriptive writers. Since I've spent nearly the whole month of June in Minnesota among my very hard-working relatives, this blog is inspired by them, particularly my cousin's wife. This is NOT to say the rest of that clan don't inspire me, believe me!
I never really got to know her very well before this year. Oh, we knew each other. I went on visits every year since 1999 when we moved back to America. Since we decided to buy the house in Minnesota, I've made several trips up and stayed with them. This time we worked together and it was so much fun!
A farm wife does not have a lazy life, and a dairy farmer's wife has to work far harder! She can do anything! She mows, chases calves, drives tractors, paints the house, gets meals ready for her family and any others who work there OR who just happen to drop by. She makes delicious snacks for workers in the middle of the afternoon all while also running her own interior decorating business.
One morning we left the house by 7:30 to go to a flea market to get some deals on fresh fruit and vegetables. By that night she had made about 20 (was it more?) jars of strawberry freezer jam and cooked up 10# of mushrooms frozen for later. This is while kids and neighbors are coming and going, spending the night, getting picked up from spending the night, making sure clothes get washed, dried, folded put away and the kitchen stays tidy.
Cheerful, helpful, friendly to everyone. People are always stopping by and each one is welcomed warmly. What an inspiration.
So while I was scraping away, I thought of Julie. She is an inspiration!
2 comments:
Good blog! I like the new look, too. I never get tired of looking at the birch trees, esp. as the light hits them. Sometimes our lives change and it's hard to know what to write about! Yesterday I told Em I wanted a recipe a month from her! We can read the same magazine and I come away uninspired, go to her house and she's got three yummy recipes from same magazine going. I have a notebook of emails from the 'old days'!Back when you were in Italy and Celeste was in Guam. Good stories.. As Mrs. B. says. "Tell someone your story."
Good blog! I like the new look, too. I never get tired of looking at the birch trees, esp. as the light hits them. Sometimes our lives change and it's hard to know what to write about! Yesterday I told Em I wanted a recipe a month from her! We can read the same magazine and I come away uninspired, go to her house and she's got three yummy recipes from same magazine going. I have a notebook of emails from the 'old days'!Back when you were in Italy and Celeste was in Guam. Good stories.. As Mrs. B. says. "Tell someone your story."
Post a Comment