Tuesday, March 17, 2009

From Fear to Freedom

This is going to be another ramble post, just warning you.

I have recently encountered a situation that has once again reminded me of God's grace in my own life. I am so thankful that it's not what I do or how I measure up or what my kids turn out like that puts me in favor with God. It is He who has reached down and rescued me. It is He who continues His grace in my life, despite all my failings.

Several years ago someone gave me the book by that blog title written by Rose Marie Miller. It was what I needed at the time. Showing me my fear, pride, self-righteousness, and my dependence on my own orderliness to please God. Coming back to America was a major struggle for me,too. But in recent years/months, God's goodness to me, His grace has become so clear and dear. I credit much of it to having a wonderful teacher in our pastor. What freedom I've experienced. How thankful I am that He's showing me where I've come from; He's showing me His continued faithfulness. There have been several VERY CLEAR and SPECIFIC answers to prayer in recent months. And all of them I think, WOW! that is so clearly an answer to my prayers!

So what's the situation? Once again it's Andrew and his girlfriend. (heh, heh, We thought we were past that, didn't we??) They are planning to fly to Florida the end of the month for just four days to stay with Den's dad. Her parents didn't want them to drive, so Andrew bought the tickets. They'll be there before noon the day they leave! It's not an "ultimate Spring Break" or anything. Andrew just wanted to get away while his work is slow, wanted to see some warm sun, green grass and brilliant white sand, and he wanted to take one of his best friends with him--Drew had classes!! :) Unfortunately, mama and papa T. are not happy. A short conversation yesterday when I tried to explain the trip (staying with grampa, etc) didn't help. Wrapped up in all their reaction is fear. Fear of previous mistakes happening again, fear in their lack of control, fear in what others will say. I talked to the daughter-in-law for a long time yesterday. She confirmed that they probably want control and are afraid, and that nothing probably will make them happy. Poor S. is between the desire to go and the parents' feelings.

So I've been praying and praying for peace for all of us. Praying that we all can get past the fears and on to grace. Denny even said he had bad dreams about it last night. And I was awake a long time (of course, that's nothing new).

By the way, the book, From Fear to Freedom is excellent! I've been re-reading it again this morning. Ah, the life of a stay-at-home woman!

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is one of my favorite books! I love Rose Marie Miller.

linneaminich said...

Can I just say, CRAZY! Are they trying to protect her or themselves?

dyount said...

Love all the sonship fear to freedom stuff. Will be praying that God will work in a difficult situation...they are His specialty!