During my morning devotions I think of all kinds of things to say if I were talking about it to someone. So today, I thought I'd just share some of it.
One doesn't normally think of God as compassionate when thinking about God in the Old Testament. But after reading through the OT several times, I'm seeing it more and more clearly. Today, as many days before, I see it in his compassionate election of the nation of Israel and His dealings with them. I have been struck by its parallel to our election.
God told Israel that He didn't choose them because they were "more in number" or more desirable than any other nation, but because He loved them. Same goes for us. He didn't choose His people, Jew or Gentile, because there was SOMETHING about us that was desirable. Neither did He choose us because He "saw" that we would choose Him. Did He see that Israel would one day "choose" Him? On the contrary. He told them that they would be stubborn and rebel. Yet, He would still atone for their sin. Amazing!
This idea, that God chose me simply because He loved me amazes me. What devotion it draws! What love! Election is a doctrine of love. Just as a lover draws his beloved. It's not a doctrine of separation, but of compassion.
1 comment:
Hi!
I know what you mean about thoughts from quiet. I don't write many of those down. Maybe I should...
I recently finished Leviticus, and through the entire book I kept thinking, how thankful I am for Christ. I could never keep those rules perfectly. I could never come CLOSE to keeping all those rules. And yet, He offers His son that we don't have to. Again- such compassion, such kindness, He has for His people...
Anyways...
I'm also thankful for sun. Surely the pool can't be too far away, right? :-)
Post a Comment