Monday, August 3, 2009

First day of the summer holidays?



The Nebraska summer this year has been brilliant. Moderate temperatures, little wind, regular rainfalls, what more could we ask? Denny and I have sat outside by the pool and eaten dinner every night for a couple of weeks.

I finished working at Lowe's garden center on Thursday after nearly 3 months. I started April 26th, took a couple of weeks off in May to go to Linnea's graduation and sub for the track coach. Started back up the 16th of May and worked Monday - Friday ever since. It was a great job; I worked with fun people, and it kept me busy enough all summer.

The last three weeks I've added helping out at OCA getting it ready for school to start mid-August. I've loved being there talking with
everyone and taking the room from chaos to order. Those of you who know me know that is one of my greatest joys! :) I've taken over one room in particular, and that has made it easier to have specific things to do when I go up there. That room is done, basically, so I'm a "free agent" now! I have helped out other teachers, too, painting bookshelves, desks, unpacking and setting up the teachers' lounge/workroom, and hauling boxes. I've gotten in shape without working out. yippee!


My balcony plants have done well this summer so far. I did learn a little more about plants while I worked, at least some new ones.

Other things on my mind:
  • our 30th anniversary trip to Scotland to visit our good friends there
  • the Getty's new album!
  • the faithfulness and steadfast love of God
  • being taught to "let go" of my children and to wait with patience
Hey, no one told me that having 20-somethings was going to be harder on me than having a 2 year old! One is physical exhaustion, the other is emotional. I DO love the promise and energy of my 20-somethings! They are always thinking and always challenging me. It's wonderful to see the different ways God teaches us. And thankfully He helps us to mellow, and some things and beliefs that we thought were so important or uncompromisable, we realize were only our own "quirks". It's all part of letting go.....

3 comments:

mdiber said...

ings' because you are so physically exhausted with the younger ones to hear it!

Joetta said...

Nice Post! We are doing sweet corn on Wednesday. Are you available to come out to the farm?

Sharon said...

Your table looks so inviting!