Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The past continues to teach

Many years ago we learned this song in choir. Then I taught it to my dad and he sang it as a solo. I can still hear him singing it. I wish it had been recorded, too. This morning I was playing through the old Intervarsity hymnbook they sang through at Cono, and came to this song. What meaningful words that are just as much my prayer today as they were when I first learned them.

(The field makes me think of "the future's broadening way...peace)
O Master, let me walk with Thee in lowly paths of service free; Tell me they secret; help me bear the strain of toil, the fret of care.
Help me the slow of heart to move by some clear, winning word of love; Teach me the wayward feet to stay, and guide them in the homeward way.
Teach me they patience; still with Thee in closer, dearer company, in work that keeps faith sweet and strong, in trust that triumphs over wrong;
In hope that sends a shining ray far down the future's broadening way; in peace that only Thou canst give, with Thee, O Master, let me live.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I love those words!