Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Precious in the sight of the Lord


Our precious friend went to be with Jesus last night. Here she is with good friends Hans and Gretchen Deutschmann in her cozy house filled with books, plants and music. What a wonderful place to pop in to, what a wonderful woman to be there and who remembered me and every member of my family and asked about them!

This is my tribute to a dear woman.

We moved to Iowa 45 years ago this August to go to Cono Christian School. It's unbelievable to think she was only 46 then! She put us to work, and we weren't even her kids! We didn't think twice about it. Just did what we were told. That's how it was with her. Just do it. My mom was telling me about an instance when a girl was asked to do something she didn't know if she could do. Mrs. Belz just took her arm on the inside and brought her to the task and said she could do it. She was close. She was an enabler. Nothing was too hard for us to do. Both Max and Jean were like that. I'm amazed at the things they just expected us high schoolers to do. Like drive half-way across the country with a load of teenagers! And get there and get set up for a concert. They expected us to do it, so we did. "Just do it." was her lesson to us. And stop the complaining!

Music was also part of her impact on my life. She was my patient, persistent piano teacher. I can still hear her singing "Drink to me only with thine eyes" while I played my piece on the piano! :) I can also hear her alto voice singing just about any hymn in the old Trinity hymnbook. A rich warm voice to me.

She was such an influence on our mom, too, that the things I learned from Mom were also strengths from Mrs. Belz. Baking. Great cinnamon rolls, bread of any kind. Good home-cooked meals. I loved being invited to Belzes in the summer for dinner. We had a pancake supper one night. Yummy!

What I remember about her. Her frankness. One year we were there for Cono Homecoming and had to leave before church to catch an incoming flight of a friend. We told Mrs. Belz we had to leave and she said, "Before church?" in a voice you who know her would understand! Dennis never forgot it!

Another blessing of being part of the covenant community. "All your children will be taught by the Lord and great will be your children's peace." We are her children. Thanks, Belz children, for sharing your mom!

No comments: