Gramma would be 100 years old on January 26, 2011. I've been scanning, printing organizing and archiving a couple hundred old family photos. In these few weeks I feel like I've been getting to know these ancestors like I never knew them before. It's almost like a time travel experience. I see my grandmother and grandfather and their siblings, my mother and her siblings and I feel like I am their contemporary. They are so lovely young and fresh. Reminds me of the scene at the end of the old BBC Voyage of the Dawn Treader where King Caspian is "dead" in the water and Aslan's blood makes him a young boy again. A picture of resurrection. So these "elderlies" have been resurrected for me! Even the ones who are still alive. Just have to say a bit more about this Gramma. She is the youngest of four. Her mother died when she was not a year old yet and she was raised by a neighbor. Her older siblings were raised by an aunt up the road. She married very young and had seven children in nine years. All in the '30's. Her husband left her (she probably refused to go with him!) and she raised the seven alone, with the help of the "village". Sometime during those years she met The Master. As she followed Jesus she continued to teach and train those seven children to know and follow Him. I am so thankful that she was so special to me. I still wish I could talk to her and ask her things. I'm thankful for my mom and her siblings who continue to be such a wonderful source of spiritual encouragement to me. Never let us think that the role of a godly mother is not a great one!



1 comment:
Beautiful blog, sistah!
Post a Comment