Monday, May 7, 2007

Rhubarb's ready!

From garden to sink. I love this time of year. The first rhubarb. MMMM. The first lot that came up very early froze off. Here is the next batch, ready for pie and crumble. I can't wait to get it baked today. And it's a great day to do it. Dark, stormy, cool. Just right for filling the house with the lovely scent of fresh rhubarb pie....and NO strawberry in it. We love it just like it is with some cinnamon. Linnea must be missing it!! I know I did when I lived in SC. Too hot for it there, I think.

And wow! Have we ever had storms this weekend. Buckets of rain. Water every
where. In the seven+ years we've lived here, we've never seen soooo much water. The farmer planted this field on Wednesday. Another field across the road is completely under water. It was so windy yesterday, I thought there might be white caps! *smile* When we left for church, Andrew got in his little car and said, "I hope I don't hit a pot hole and drown!"

And finally, WILL IS HOME!!!! He arrived all cramped and wrinkly, unfolding out of the stuffed car about 7:30 last night. Happy to be home at last. He brought us presents and fun stuff like a stone from the beach in Gaeta. A leaf from the tree across the street from our old house there. A stone from Scotland and sheep's wool from a fence near Inverness! All those fun things that mean a lot but don't cost anything. He even brought an orange seed from the tree across from our house in Italy. Maybe if I plant it, it will grow into an Italian orange tree!

Nice to be home today after working for two days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got rhubarb, too! I went out to get some mint out of the garden and came back with about a half dishpan of rhubarb AND plenty of asparagus for supper. It usually takes me two pickings of 'sper-gus'. I think I shall make a pie in the morning. I think I like your schedule of "Hmmm.... shall I teach today or not?" :>)