
When I substituted last week, the teacher had me show this video to both of her Bible classes. It makes for an easy sub job to push a button on a DVD machine. I hadn't seen this yet, and I don't generally like Bible-based movies. I'd rather the images stayed in my head. However, even after watching this two times, I still wanted to show it to my Wednesday evening class at church. It was amazing. The story of the birth of Jesus became new, fresh and alive. It transformed from being just a story, to reality. We always picture Mary as a mature woman even while we say she was just a girl, which she probably was. I never really thought about the story itself past just what the words say. But what did Mary feel like being pregnant as a young girl? Did she tell her mother? Would her mother believer her? So she went to visit Elizabeth for three months or so. What did Joseph think when she returns obviously pregnant. We know he must've thought she had been unfaithful because the Bible tells us he thought he'd quietly divorce her. How crushed did he feel? Then the film shows how Mary gradually grows to love Joseph who probably had been chosen FOR her, not BY her. The birth is amazing. I cried every time. So if you get a chance to see this, it is well worth your time. The Christmas story will come alive to you. The fact the God himself became man with all our weaknesses, including that of infancy, will cause you to worship HIM.
Thou who was rich beyond all splendour, all for love's sake became poor.
Thrones for a manger didst surrender, sapphire-paved courts for stable floor.
Thou who art God beyond all praising, all for love's sake became man
Stooping so low, but sinners raising heavenward by thy eternal plan
Thou who art love beyond all telling, Saviour and King, we worship thee
Emmanuel within us dwelling, make us what thou would have us be.
Chip Stam writes: "This hymn was written at a particularly difficult time in the history of the missions to China. Missionaries had been captured by the communist Red Army and released in poor health after over a year of suffering. Others had been captured never to be heard from again. In 1934 the young missionaries John and Betty Stam (my great aunt and uncle) were captured in Anhwei and beheaded . The news of these sorrows had reached the mission's headquarters in Shanghai. Though this was a very dangerous time for both the Chinese Christians and the foreign missionaries, Frank Houghton decided he needed to begin a tour through the country to visit various missionary outposts. While traveling over the mountains of Szechwan, the powerful and comforting words of 2 Corinthians 8:9, "though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor," were transformed into this beautiful Christmas hymn."
Thought you might enjoy hearing about the background to the hymn. I did. If you click on the link, you'll see where I read it.
1 comment:
Bri saw this movie last winter, she really liked it. I haven't had the chance to see it yet, but I think I'll rent it this week. Have a merry Christmas!
Post a Comment