Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another favorite hymn

A week ago we sang this hymn in church. I practiced with the group on Wednesday, so I got the song in my head a few days earlier than the congregation. It's a song that I've known my whole life, just about, but to different tunes. This time we sang it to an RUF tune. It's nice and refreshes the song. (Unlike "O love that will not let me go", a new tune I DON'T like!) I have been singing it aloud or in my head ever since. It is very comforting and reassuring when confusion and insecurity abound in the world around us. Those of us particularly of the Reformed faith should know our God is sovereignly in control of ALL things. "I take content, what he hath sent..." I seem to be hearing a lot of screeching....

Whate'er my God ordains is right: his holy will abideth,
I will be still whate'er he doth, and follow where he guideth.
He is my God; though dark my road, he holds me that I shall not fall;
wherefore to him I leave it all.

Whate'er my God ordains is right: he never will deceive me;
He leads me by the proper path; I know he will not leave me.
I take content, what he hath sent; his hand can turn my griefs away,
And patiently I wait his day.

Whate'er my God ordains is right; though now this cup, in drinking,
May bitter seem to my faint heart, I take it, all unshrinking.
My God is true; each morn anew sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart,
and pain and sorrow shall depart.

What e'er my God ordains is right: here shall my stand be taken;
though sorrow, need, or death be mine, yet am I not forsaken.
My Father's care is round me there; he holds me that I shall not
fall:
and so to him I leave it all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a new tune girl, but I hate both of those tunes. I am a little unimpressed with RUF tunes. After all, who can improve on Bach?? Those aren't the words I am really thinking! I like tunes with motion, and both of those tunes have a nice up and down flow, esp if you don't drag. somethings ought to be left alone, lovely hymns. there is a time for everything under the sun, a time to change and a time to leeve it alone. may God grant us the serenity to know the difference! do ya know what I'm saying? :>)