Monday, February 9, 2009

The Blink

So it has a history! Covenant College's snack bar is called, "The Blink". It never occurred to me that it really meant something.

Then yesterday while perusing the book, The Men of the Covenant, about Scottish Covenanters, I saw the chapter entitled "The Blink".

Here's a quote,
Odd as it seems to find any relaxation of their sorrows coming from such a
source, it was to be expected, therefore, that the Covenannters would have
something of a breathing-space. And so it happened. The three or four years
which followed are known in the litereature of the persecuted by the quaint
title of 'The Blink'...In greater numbers than ever they met for worship on the
hillsides and in the fields, crowding to hear the preachers who gave them the
living bread and the water which has 'refreshment for all thirst'.
Wow, those guys naming stuff in the early days of Covenant College were pretty creative!

I hope my kids found a "breathing-space" at The Blink" during their years at Covenant!

2 comments:

diber said...

I think there was a paragraph about that posted somewhere around the Blink, because i knew that about the Covenanters.
Sadly, though, the Blink in my day was kind of a loser hangout. at least in the evening. I sometimes went there for a quieter lunch when I was living offcampus and brought my lunch in.

linneaminich said...

if breathing space was meant to include the smell of lots of fried food then yes, we did.