I have been in an E.M.Forster mood this week. A friend from church and I decided to read A Room with a View. I think I have read it before, but I've seen the movie a couple times. The book that I got from the library had three Forster novels in it, so I just finished that one and one called Where Angels Fear to Tread. They are both set in Italy and England. I would say the themes are freeing oneself of artificiality and stringent social expectations. They are set before the first World War, I think. The English have this pompous superiority (those English!) and they feel they need to help Italians become more "Christian", not in a true religious way! The second one was really sad, so I felt bad for awhile after I read it. I've always liked A Room with a View. The movie is an excellent rendition of the book, I thought.
Last Sunday we had Dr. Scott Clark preaching at our church. He is a professor at Westminster Seminary in California. He had an excellent sermon and then afterwards led the adult Sunday School class on Covenant theology. Wow! He tied the whole Bible together in one seamless whole, we were so amazed at God's almighty wisdom and sovereignty from beginning to end!! After his outline and lecture, he opened it up for questions. So he answered questions on why we baptize our children and about why Jesus will not reign in Jerusalem and re-establish sacrifices as some Dispens
ationalists believe. I'll have to add a link to his blog.And one more thing, before this gets too long. And this should have been a whole post in itself LAST week. We have stayed in touch with many of our friends around the world. We are
soo thankful for all of them. Last Thurday our friends, the Burtons who were in Italy with us, came to Omaha for a baseball tournament for their son. We had them over for a big Italian dinner and picked up right where we left off 10 years ago! Only the kids are WAY bigger!!One final note. Most of my friends know this already, but in case you haven't heard, Andrew joined the Navy. He needs a change. He needs to see the ocean. He wants to try something new. So he's going to do the same kind of job that Dennis has done. He doesn't leave, though, until January 14th. Details later....if there are any!
4 comments:
I LOVE Forster. I always read Forster when I travel. Of course, Howard's End is anohter great one. probably the one I've read most often.
When I visited Florence in college, I was sure to have an A Room with a View day. I went around the city and sat in the spots mentioned and read the passage. A little corny. A little romantic.
::wavewave:: from OK.
A Room with a View MIGHT be easier than War and Peace... :-)
maybe I should have joined your book club.
See you at Club M in a week...
If he wanted to see the ocean, he could have just come for a visit instead signing years of his life away!! :)
I remember really enjoying A Room With a View, though it's been a long time ...
Good luck to Andrew (and you for having to let him go!).
Post a Comment