"The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began." J.R.R. Tolkein
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Days with Grant
Here is a slideshow. I couldn't get it to just play here.
Grant was our minister when we lived in Scotland. I was the first to meet him. Dennis had Sunday duty and Linnea and I walked up to the Free Church for the Sunday service. I don't remember any more than just shaking his hand when I left the church. The next Sunday Dennis was there, and so was Grant's wife, Tricia, who had been home with young children. She was more than thrilled to have another young couple in the church. They had been PRAYING for a young couple and here we were! Where else could we go. That was 26 years ago.
Our two families went to the Keswick Conference in the Lake District. The first year was 1988, the photos are from that memorable trip when we both had very young children! The next time was in 1994 when we camped. It was the summer of the World Cup. Great memories of David lip-synching with Pavarotti and of Alison and David jumping in to Derwent Water from the pier. Beautiful place and fun memories.
Grant patiently helped us understand the Free Church of Scotland and particularly the lovely folks at the Castletown Free Church. Lots of wonderful memories of those who have gone to heaven before us as well as those we love to visit when we go back. Grant baptized both William and Andrew and to this day whenever I hear, "The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face to shine upon you...." I hear Grant's voice blessing our boys. I loved to hear his rich deep voice praying. Every time we went back to visit I loved to hear him pray.
Grant also led our Free Church singing group called, Free Harmony. Our little group won the cup our first year at the Caithness Music Festival.
We had Christmas dinners together, American Thanksgiving, dinner/lunch/coffee at the drop of a hat. Life in Castletown made impromptu visits acceptable.
We even have a crazy memory of a local woman who had a tiff with Grant about something come right in to the evening church service and chew him out. Whoa.
Dennis and I went back for a visit in 2009. It was a rather spur-of-the-minute decision to make the trip to Scotland. We are so happy we did! We had the best time we've ever had with Grant and Tricia. We spent days out seeing the sites around Scotland as well as enjoyed good discussions and good laughs. We are so thankful to God for moving us to take that trip then. Two of our dear friends have gone to heaven since then.
I'm so glad that God took us to Scotland and gave us Grant to minister to our hearts those four years. Memories are precious. We will miss you, Grant, but look forward to meeting up in heaven!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is so sad! How did he die? I'm glad you got to have that special time with them last year!
Post a Comment