I was on my blog this morning trying to upload a photo, obviously without luck, and editing my profile. I figured I might (or is it may?) as well write something. As far as the profile goes, I cannot think how to describe myself. Do I see myself in light of what I DO? or to whom I'm related? or by past experience? or by my convictions? So I just deleted most of it. While I think... Maybe I do a little too much introspecting?
My aunt gave me a few little trinkets of my grandmother's after she died (gramma, not the aunt!). Linnea had never seen them, so I got them out the other night. My grandmother had written notes with each item describing them and who had them. One is a teeny pair of scissors from 1887. They were given to the woman who raised her from the English ship captain on the boat from Sweden. Another is a very unusual watch fob. It was given to my grandmother's dad from his sister (I'm assuming it's his sister.) It's made from her hair and looks like macrame. The hair is auburn and the fob is about a quarter of an inch in diameter and about six inches long. On the fob is a gold locket with the initials PAL engraved on the back. However, the locket is empty. Too bad. I'm glad she saved these little things AND wrote these notes for us!
We have been getting marvelous rain! During June and July we had less than an inch total. So we were praying for rain. Yesterday was the first big daytime thunderstorm all summer, and that's amazing here in eastern NE! Everything is so green! And I'm sure the farmers are all happy. I am awed by the goodness of God in sending rain when we need it. I remember the place of prayer as a child growing up in an agricultural community. One of the church elders once said, "God sends drought, so we pray for rain. God sends rain, so we pray for it to stop." Meaning that God always draws us to be dependent on him. God is good, all the time. John Piper's blog today (or from yesterday) is very good along those lines. For those of you who don't know, his church is within sight of the 35W bridge. His comments are wise.
Be blessed and be a blessing!
1 comment:
thanks to you, Rach, I have been reading J. Piper's blog. You mentioned it in another blog before the whole bridge thing, I think. I love to read it...makes me think.
Love all your pictures, too.
Em
Post a Comment