Our church homeschool group borrowed some bells from a local university for their children's choir. Yesterday a few of us got together to test our sight reading, wrist snapping ability. We are playing "Infant Lowly, Infant Holy" which is a nice even piece and not too complicated. But it's funny when we get lost in the piece or we keep trying to get that thing to ring. For some reason, my right arm/wrist works far better than the left. It was so much fun, and so rewarding to get it right that we kept playing and playing.
I've loved the bells ever since I first heard them my senior year in high school. And even though the only people I've ever seen play them ever since are groups of old ladies, I am thrilled to be able to try it out for myself.
Maybe I'm the old lady now anyway. (According to Andrew, he doesn't want me telling all my "old lady friends" what's going on in his life! So maybe I'M an old lady, too!)
6 comments:
"OLD!"
Like the old Spanish adage my mom used to say, "Viejos, los cerros!" Translated to Enlgish - "Old! the hills!" :o)
Bell-ringing sounds fun!
I used to think it was just old people till one year in Cedar Rapids we had an assistant director who had his own bell choir and they were kids! And they were dynamite! They made all sorts of sounds and textures with thoe bells. At our previous church there was a junior high bell choir and a senior high one as well. They were pretty good. Then at music camp our music director would tech the kids how to play a song in one day, with lots of posters for them to follow. The had a lot of fun.
I think I'm going to borrow J's hand weights to get that left wrist bulked up. Maybe Andrew could recommend a supplement...:-)
I LOVE the bells!!!
I should get to my blog sometime this week...
keep ringing those bells. it is good for old ladies to keep those wrists mobile. We hope to hear you on the 16th -c and j
Such fun! We are really looking forward to hearing you! My sister-in-law has played them for years and has enjoyed it so much. Do you remember Poe's "Bells?" Enjoy!
XOXOXO J.
Post a Comment