Thursday, November 8, 2007

Katherine K. Davis


I was reminded of K.K.Davis, an old friend of ours, this morning when a friend from Scotland wrote to ask how she could get a copy of a song we sang together. Well, KK Davis is sort of a friend. When we were in high school our girls' septet sang several classical music pieces arranged by her for three women's parts. We had a lot of fun with it. The Green Hills Book became a staple at school reunions and family get-togethers. I bought one and continued to sing those arrangements with my five sisters. We even made a very informal recording of some of them! Then when I moved to Scotland I took the book and some of us women sang an arrangement of Psalm 23 called "The King of Love". It is an arrangement of an Irish tune. The book doesn't give me any more information than that, so if one of you friends or family can tell me the name of the tune, friends in Scotland want to sing it again!

I would love to sing some of these songs with women again. We just have to find the right women who sing the right parts. When we sang these in high school and with my sisters, I never guessed how precious those musical times were.

If you want to know more about her, here is the link.
She died in 1980.
Back to housecleaning....thanks for the break, Mairead! *smile*!

4 comments:

K said...

Now that is something I would LOVE to hear! Sorry I can't help out- you know my singing voice falls more into the category of making "a joyful noise"... :-)

yolie said...

That would be awesome! If you ever get this going, let me know. I would love to come hear you sing. As far as my singing talent goes, I think I may fall in the same category as your previous commenter. hehe

Anonymous said...

For anyone who is still listening I'll have you know we used to sing In Parts while we cleaned the kitchen every evening! Then we'd say to our parents,"You got it really good!" They'd reply "We know!"

Anonymous said...

For anyone who is still listening I'll have you know we used to sing In Parts while we cleaned the kitchen every evening! Then we'd say to our parents,"You got it really good!" They'd reply "We know!"