Saturday, November 10, 2007

We've come a long way....!

From the old covenant's way of sacrifices to remove our sin!!

I've been reading through Hebrews this month. Wow, it is fantastic in its logical arguments for Christ being the end of the old covenant and its way of doing things. It's hard some days to stop reading at the end of the day's reading because the logic is taking me on and on. Today's reading repeats this phrase "for all time" or a variation like "once for all" three times. The author is telling us that the old sacrifices were only shadows. They could not do anything to take away sins or to clear my conscience. When Christ came, His sacrifice was the sacrifice to end it all.
"He abolishes the first [old covenant sacrifices] in order to establish the second. And that by that will [the Father's will] we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all"( Heb. 10:9-10) "But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, HE SAT DOWN at the right hand of God"(v. 12) "For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified." (v. 14)

Then the author inserts the passage from Isaiah about God writing the laws on our hearts and minds. So not only does Christ's sacrifice now cleanse our conscience, which the old law could not, but He writes it on our hearts and minds. The chapter closes with "NO MORE". "I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more."

I need these reminders. I think that God sometimes is only rather tersely pleased with me. It's hard to feel that He doesn't even remember what I've done. So as an act of the will and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I can come to God knowing (what is true and not my feelings) that God accepted Christ's sacrifice and I am perfected. And I am being sanctified....it's a process.

Ending with the last verse of today's Psalm, (108:13) "With God we shall do valiantly; it is he who will tread down our foes."

Man, it's all about God, isn't it??

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wonderful thoughts...Yes, it is all about God, and how often I forget that. His Word has to be my plumb line, and not my feelings. He even tells me what to think about! (Phil. 4:6)It truly is a "battlefield of the mind."