I've had several ideas cooking in my head for the last few days. I know I haven't written much, and not much is going on. But yesterday our school had a "Walk-a-thon" to raise money. I heard that it wasn't so well supported as it was last year. Sometimes we focus so much on the fundraiser and not enough on God, who is the God of the impossible. Our school has bought property, gutted a building and plans to remodel the building and build another building next to it. All before next fall. How can that be done? We believe that God can do it. Sometimes we focus on the obvious-the economy, the time, the distance, and we think that this can not be done. We need to focus on our God who wants to get glory for Himself. These students need to see what God can do. Their young faith needs to be strengthened. They need to set up "stones" in order to teach God's faithfulness to their children. This morning I read that after the death of Joshua there grew up a generation who did not know the Lord. Why didn't they? Why didn't their parents teach them? Where were those stones that were supposed to stimulate questions on their behalf to teach them God's steadfast love? Our school needs those stones, and we need to keep God in front of them all the time.
I'm hearing about parents who are not going to send their kids to our school next year. It is moving to a corner of Omaha that is farther away. Is Christian education only important to our family when it is "affordable" or "convenient"? Is that what we want to teach our children about following Christ? Are we not being like those represented by the seed that fell among stones that when things got tough, we give up?
I am reminded of the verse of a hymn that we sang in college:
Faith, mighty faith the promise sees and looks to God alone,
Laughs at impossibilities and cries, "It shall be done!"
3 comments:
Whenever there is a change that disrupts our "normal" (is there such a thing?) lives, we tend to panic. Wasn't our school in the same predicament when it moved to its present location a few years ago? God surely pulled us through, didn't He? I'm positive that He can do it again!
Were you at the Walk-a-thon yesterday? If you were, I didn't see you! Manny, Raquel, and I were dishing out snow cones the whole time, and we have the sunburned faces and arms to prove it!
As one mom said, the reasons for choosing Christian education haven't changed with the location!
Good ol' Robertson McQuilkin! I can still hear him singing that song! He was a faithful man of God who set up those stones for us all to see.
Post a Comment