
I went down to Covenant College this weekend to see "Guys and Dolls". Will played Lt. Brannigan, the policeman who is always trying to catch the gamblers on Broadway. He never quite catches them in the act, but it's funny watching him try. The part isn't huge, but it's funny. Will is good at playing the tough guy. Our friend Jim thinks he needs to wield that billy club a little more forcefully! He does poke at them with it. I got to see the musical twice. And it was great both times. I tell you, Covenant College has some fantastic singers! The harmony, the solos, all fantastic!! Much of it is men's harmony, and that is such a treat these days when we rarely hear men sing in church let alone have several who harmonize. Another of the main characters was a guy (have to say "guy" since it was "guys" and "dolls") from my mom's church who sang with two other guys. It was a fun song sort of in a round. Denny and I are going to rent the video so he can get the idea of what Will did. The video is with Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando made in 1955. The musical must be set around that time, I think.

It was spring in Chattanooga. Blooming forsythia, red bud, a few dogwood, flowering cherry, pear, apple, daffodils, hyacinths. Ah, and green grass. What a pleasant change for a few hours!! The drawback was that it rained the whole weekend and "thunderstormed" all day Saturday. Whether it was that or just the stress of the trip, I ended up with a migraine on Saturday and didn't get up until 4pm. Oh, I kept trying, but I didn't finally start pulling out until then. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to miss Saturday night's performance.

After Saturday's performance I did get a chance to talk to Will for awhile and visit his room(s). He rooms with three other guys. They sleep in one room, and study/hang out in another.
Sunday I went to New City Fellowship, the PCA church in downtown Chattanooga. A very lively service! I enjoyed it, but I don't think I could go there every Sunday. Of course, Jim Ward is the music director, so we rock and rolled! It's fun to sing one of his songs in church while he's leading the music. The highlight of the day f

or me was getting an invitation to the "Drexler Dinner". The friends with whom I stayed have Sunday dinner for their nieces and nephews (8 of them!) who go to Covenant. They invite a friend each (or so). College students are so energetic! And hungry. I peeled 10 pounds of potatoes before church. Sara had roasted several roast beef and cut up carrots, a college girl made a huge bowl of salad. It all disappeared in less than an hour! They live in a lovely old house and the tables were decorated so beautifully. It was a great way to end the weekend.
3 comments:
Hi! I almost feel like I'm looking at my own dining room in that photo- with the red walls, window and blue glasses... :-) I'm glad you had a good weekend (w/the headache exception...)- I was thinking about you.
I wish you could have brought some "spring" back in your suitcase!! What is with this weather?
Joetta
yay, fun pictures. I love that they have carpet walls in the Belz dorm! We have spring here, lots of azaleas.
Post a Comment