
This desk is a time capsule. See all those air mail letters on the left? They are all letters from my friends in Scotland that I saved from my first few years away. We had four absolutely marvelous and unforgettable years living in Scotland. Leaving there was heart-wrenching. I had crying dreams for weeks even before we left. The first year was the worst. I never really recovered totally. I've never had such a group of friends as I did there. My letters were from (and this will only mean something to those who lived there!) Mairead, Tricia, Janet Docherty, Elizabeth, Cathy Sunderland, Carol MacKenzie, Christine MacKenzie, Bessie, Janie, Minnie, Norelle, Val Graham, Helen Christie, Chris Nicolson...can you believe all that?! I still stay in touch with most of those friends, but some of them have died. One of the letters from Elizabeth described Bessie's funeral. That was very touching. If I keep reading, I may find one telling about Janet's. I do have one from Elizabeth after John died. It's a wonderful letter of hope and peace.
One of the fun things about these letters is since they were written nearly 20 years ago (most between 1989 and 1993) our children were very young or still babies. What fun to read about what we/you were all going through! Holidays, pregnancies, outings with friends, work around the home, ill health, school progress. It's also fun to read about my children's club in Castletown. What happened with it after I left, and how my friends were keeping it going. Now I expect a comment from one of you Scottish friends reading this! *smile* We've come a long way from those pen and paper days, but there is nothing like pulling out those old letters and reading them again.
This is what I get into when it's another dark, cold, cloudy blustery day. You'd think it was the end of November! Oh, and by the way, it snowed this morning! Yeah. But it didn't stick.
1 comment:
It snowed here again today. When Dawn was here, we were going through some stuff and found letters that Dan had written me when we were dating. That was almost 45 yrs ago!! Blake is here this whole weekend. So is their Jack Russell Terrier. He stays in his cage at night in the office. He was involved with a skunk recently and after many baths, he still smells. thus when I opened the office door this a.m.---it stunk!!! I've since opened a window in there and the smell is gone........that is until the dog is brought back into the office to stay in his cage! We all have great memories of times in other places, numerous travels and spending valuable time with friends. Aren't we blessed? Liz
Post a Comment