Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"Put no confidence in princes..."

We are very much into politics in this house. It can be very, what shall I say, volatile? emotional? passionate? Anyway, I think in recent times, our country has become more and more dependant on the State. We think our problems can be solved by the State, that our comfort depends on the State, that any difficulty in our lives is the fault of the State. A pretty sad state of affairs! (pun intended!)

One of the advantages of growing up in a Christian home and going to church all the time is that the hymns I grew up with are all in my head. Sometimes the words come to me out of the blue. However, the title of this blog came from the hymn we sang just last Sunday. I love it when the words come back to me all through the week. This line comes from the third line of the first verse. The second verse continues the theme.

Put no confidence in princes, nor for help on man depend;
he shall die, to dust returning and his purposes shall end.

Happy is the man who chooses Israel's God to be his aid,
He is blessed, whose hope of blessing on the Lord his God is stayed.
Heaven and earth, the Lord created, seas and all that they contain,
he delivers from oppression, righteousness He will maintain.

Psalm 121:1 "My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."

1 comment:

dyount said...

Yes. One of my contentions with all of the candidates is their inclination towards having the state solve peoples problems so it will be their god. As a social worker I can tell you that is a deadly mistake. A hope that is seen is no hope at all...