Friday, February 22, 2008

Assurance of Resurrection

Another funeral. Another graveside service. Our teacher from our early days at Cono died on Saturday, Miss Dorothy Thompson. My sister most adequately described her; I can't add anything to what she said. Today I was able to attend her graveside service. She was buried here in Council Bluffs, so it was an easy drive. After days of subzero temperatures, today was clear and in the 30's. We could really enjoy the worship time there. I told our friend, Andrew, that it felt like a graveside service for Dad since that day was so cold and sleety. We sang two hymns, read Psalms and heard a short talk reminding us of the blessing of eternal life. It is good to be reminded that this isn't all there is, that death is ended, that we will go some place infinitely better when these tired bodies are laid in the grave. "Higher up and further in." as C.S.Lewis says in The Last Battle.

It was good to be reminded of all this after being immersed in the current political campaign. Life can be a burden, but the reminder of eternal life puts things back into perspective.

I'm reading about Huckabee now. From Hope to Higher Ground. It's been good. But I feel overwhelmed by America's problems and the need for change and HOPE. More in another blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to go! I really would have liked to. Liz wrote she slid all the way to Cono for the funeral and slid all the way home... and Chad passed her on the way!