Another book I'm reading is Boom! by Tom Brokaw. It is his memories as a reporter during the 60's. You know he began his career here in Omaha? I've gotten up to the Democratic Convention of 1968 and the Chicago riots. America was a pretty desperate place back then.
The other book is one I'm rereading since I first read it probably 8 years ago. It is Christianity, Education and the State by J. Gresham Machen. It is a compilation of several lectures that he gave in the 20's and 30's!!!!! In his lecture on the necessity of the Christian school (from 1934) he says:
It is this profound Christian permeation of every human activity, no matter how secular the world may regard it as being, which is brought about by the Christian school and the Christian school alone. I do not want to be guilty of exaggerations at this point. A Christian boy or girl can learn math, for example, from a teacher who is not a Christian; and truth is truth however learned. But while truth is truth however learned, the bearing of truth, the meaning of truth, the purpose of truth (even in the sphere of math) seem entirely different to the Chrstian from that which they seem to the non-Christian; and that is why a truly Christian education is possible only when Christian conviction underlies not a part, but all, of the curriculum of the school. True learning and true piety go hand in hand, and Christianity embraces the whole of life-those are great central convictions that underlie the Christian school.You'd think he was living in the 21st century!
1 comment:
Machens' Education, Christianity and the State' gave me the reasons I needed to put my shoulder to the plough and allow myself to be consumed in the education of my children. At that point, I could not do it 'because that was the way i grew up" had to know. And you think by the time I was 35 or 40 I wouldn't need convincing, but I really needed it from another source than my parents and Max Belz, worthy proponents of Christian education that they are. I had bought the book several years earlier because I was reading anything I could get my hands on about education.. and hey, it was Machen! The only other thing I read of his was a Greek textbook. He answered all my questions with YES AND AMEN! Then I was okay with what it would cost us to see the job through. I got my headmaster to read it, too.
Post a Comment