Well, I had to have three "b" words, so I added the last one. Sorry to those of you who would rather not read the word! :) Since I'm talking about it, we had great fun watching the festivities last night on TV. Will said he organized 5 house parties and he was at one of them watching it all. We Americans love celebrating anything! Political events, concerts, ball games (Husker opening game this weekend!) And those of us watching can't help but enjoy the celebrating. I loved the fireworks, the streamers, the balloons. It's exciting to see the first African American as a potential leader of this country as well as his beautiful family. Indeed, we will see American politics as before and after Obama, not because we see him as some kind of Messiah as some wackos want to say, but because we've finally come so far as to say we can elect someone of color. We've come a long way from the days when liberal thinking was, in the words of H.G.Wells, "No rational man, cognizant of the facts, believes that the average negro is the equal, still less the superior, of the white man."
That leads me to the next "B" word, books. I've read lots this summer and enjoyed every minute of it. One I mentioned earlier, The Reason for God by Tim Keller. Now I've just finished a similar book, The Dawkins Letters by David Robertson. (He's a Free Church of Scotland minister in Dundee, Scotland. See sidebar for link to Free Church website.) I came on this book through Tabletalk my daily devotional book. I saw he had an article in the magazine and the book was advertised, so I ordered it through Amazon.com. Here's the link so you can order it too! It is very similar to the Keller book. In this book, Robertson writes letters to Richard Dawkins in response to each chapter of his book, The God Delusion. He points out inconsistencies in Dawkin's arguments, and supports his refutations in a very witty and intelligent way. If you want an easier, shorter read on Christian apologetics, read this. He is funny but not belittling. And he's refreshing because he sees through some of American evangelical Christians ties with conservative politics. I think we can't see the trees for the forest (and I meant to say it that way.)on this side of the pond. This as well as the Keller book would be super studies for junior high and high school. And I include junior high in there because this is the stage where they absolutely LOVE to argue!!!
And finally the birthdays. Today is my mom's 75th birthday. She is happily celebrating (I'm sure) in her beloved Minnesota home. I haven't called yet, but I'm sure the sisters and brother who are there will get together. Maybe they all went to Minneapolis, who knows. And this is also Will's 22nd birthday! Actually, he was born at 5:03pmCDT on the 28th of August, but because it was 1:03am BST (British Summer Time) on the 29th, his official birthday is today. So we tell him he has two birthdays when we are in America. Pictures of the celebration to come...
OCA's first football game tonight. I'll go to see who I can visit with! Football game? Huh? where?
2 comments:
yeah, Will called me on the way back from his house party and we talked for awhile. I forgot to tell him happy birthday, though.
I see Obama's nomination as somewhat of an indictment against those who have played "the race card" in recent years, because it is proof that in our country's more recent history we've been much less prejudiced a society than some have believed. We've come a long way from the shameful racist chapters of our history.
Post a Comment