Sunday, September 9, 2007

My friend Elizabeth

Today is her birthday. She has been our/my friend for over 20 years now, all the way back to the year we moved to Scotland. She is one of those people that I don't ever remember being a stranger to or with. Her home was a warm, friendly, comfortable farmhouse in which we spent hours and yes, days. Hospitality is her first, middle and last name. She is one of the most loving and humble people I know, and I am so glad that we got to know her! She has been an encourager to me as I raised little boys who were not always the most well-behaved. When my boys were really small, Den would stay home with them for evening church service, and I would go. Then after church Elizabeth and I would go to our friend Janet's and have tea and biscuits. Our discussions were broad. They were two very knowledgeable women. I got to be a woman and a thinker as well as a young mother.
We don't correspond all that often, but when we do we just pick up where we left off. And conversation is just as good as ever. I look forward to the day when we will all be together, Elizabeth and all those great Scottish friends.

Happy Birthday, Elizabeth!

No comments: