Monday, September 17, 2007

Psalms, Isaiah and American politics

I have to admit, I get discouraged, disillusioned and sometimes even depressed when I spend any length of time reading current events. I want to stay informed and involved, so I keep up with what's going on. I form my opinions just like anyone else. Sometimes I know I get too emotional about it all. But that's when I am thankful for the hours that I've spent reading and studying Psalms and Isaiah. This morning as I read through the weekend comments of current candidates for American President I felt overwhelmed by the bickering, backstabbing and foolish ideas. Panic seized me. Then I remembered Psalm 2, here are verses 1-4:
1 Why do the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain?
2 The kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
against the LORD
and against his Anointed One.
3 "Let us break their chains," they say,
"and throw off their fetters."
4 The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.

Humanity wants to "break their chains" and "throw off their fetters". These chains and fetters are God's law, and they refuse to obey it, nor do they even want to be bound by it. Those chains and fetters of marriage, purity, compassion, protection for the weak. We are consumed by the desire for our own personal peace and affluence. But God is still in control and laughs at their attempts to throw off His rule over them. Later the Psalmist writes that "he will dash them in pieces".

I use the One Year Bible for my devotions. Every year at this time the OT readings are in Isaiah. And they are most encouraging when reading the news and thinking about current leaders and those who want to be the leaders. God raises up those who are His plan for our country and the world. None of it is pure chance. Isaiah 25, the reading for today says, "for you have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure. For you have made the city a heap..." In chapter 22 Isaiah tells the people that they laid all the plans for defending the city, put everything in place, YET "you did not look to him who did it, or see him who planned it long ago." Our current election results are not up for grabs. We plan and do our part, but as Isaiah said, God planned the results long ago. How reassuring that is! Nothing is out of control. Not George Bush, nor Putin, nor the Iranian guy whose name I can't spell, not anyone. "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases."(Prov. 21:1)

So if you're feeling overwhelmed, like me, at all that's going on in our world, take heart, God is on His throne. He has his plans and He directs hearts, even the hearts of Bush, Putin, and A...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Downright inspirational 1! Amen!