This has been the year, hasn't it? Our family spends a lot of time talking about politics, for the good or bad. I think we've always been a talking family. So this lengthy primary season has kept the political talk most interesting and exciting. Barak Obama was here in Omaha last Thursday. What excitement! The queue started early and went for blocks. I though I'd go downtown just to get in on this historical occasion, but I hate crowds. Enthusiasm ran high. The mayor even "changed" the city's name to "Obamaha"! *smile* The excitement showed on Saturday when Obama fever swept the caucuses across the state. In our county he won 75%! I guess he didn't need us to switch parties to keep Hillary from getting it.
Seems like every Tuesday and nearly every weekend there's been some tight race. We've been glued to CNN and Fox, switching back and forth between channels to hear who is saying what. I think everyone loves a contest. It's keeping things interesting. Also, knowing that my children are so involved, I keep in touch for their sake.
But I just can't get excited about McCain. How did the Republicans end up with him? It's like Bob Dole all over again. Ho hum. He doesn't spark enthusiasm. He brings all those old dried up guys on stage like Warner of Virginia. "same old, same old" Every election year I guess some party has a boring candidate. Did the Democrats really get excited about Kerry? I don't think so.
It's assuring to know that it is God who raises up "kings" and brings them down. We would never have dreamed this scenario a year ago, that Hillary would be struggling, that Obama would be streaking for the finish; that McCain even would be in it or Huckabee winning states. I mean, it's all so remarkable. Who knows, only God knows what the end will be!
Today I read about the trial and Crucifixion of Christ. These crowds were so easily swayed. One guy probably started yelling one thing, and they all took up the cry. "His blood be on us and on our children." What a horrible thing to say! Did they realize what they were saying? Why bring it on their children, too? A few short years later, Jerusalem no longer existed. What's my point? God's hand was in that crowd, too, for Christ had to be crucified. It was part of the eternal plan. His sovereignty moved the crowd to cry "Crucify" and His sovereignty brought judgement.
I pray that God will give us wisdom to do His will in this season of our country's history.
8 comments:
Steady Eddies are usually the boring ones, but they bring stability. On 'Wait wait , don't tell Me' one Saturday the had some pundit who was working for the Clinton Campaign (he had for Bill's as well) and they were pumping him with questions and they asked him if the other Repub candidates were as hostile as they seemed toward Mitt Romney and he saisd "Oh yes! They hate him." When they asked why the quick reply was "He's a phony! (this is a dem) McCain at least has integrity and and stands for what he says, but Huckabee, he doesn't believe in anything, not evolution or gravity or photosynthesis..." I remember McCain picking out some old geezer of a general for a running mate and it was just too much, so a running mate can tip his balance. I don't hear a whole lot, but McCain usually has something substantive to say other than "Yes, We Can!" That's like saying "Have Faith" We can do what? On the same vein.... Have a good one!
I agree that McCain can be a little boring (although his speech at the last Repub convention literally had me on my feet), but give me boring over universal "health care" (mandated or not) and so-called reproductive "choice" any day!
I agree, the Republican candidates do not get me excited either. I've been having a hard time with that. But I have decided that I would much rather give my vote to the "boring" Republican than to an exciting make-you-feel-good liberal with socialistic ideas anyday. Obama may make people "feel good," but it takes more than good feelings to run a country. Cal Thomas, national columnist, recently wrote about this - check out his official web page (www.calthomas.com)
I just wish people would leave republican and democrat out of it. it makes me mad when people are like "well, I don't care who the candidate is, as long as it's not a republican/democrat." It's about the person, not the party! And about McCain being boring, I think in some sense the president's image does matter. I'm getting so so tired of the Bush bashing, not because I think he's a great guy, but because I think it's tearing the country apart. We really need someone who will bring unity, and that's not McCain, who doesn't even seem to care what his own party thinks about him, and it's not Hillary either, really, since more people seem to feel strongly negative toward her than strongly positive. It's a really interesting race. And that Huckabee, so cute.
and yay Omaha! it was so exciting to hear so much about stuff there last Saturday! I was like, Sarpy County's on CNN, woah!
I agree with Linnea about the presidential bashing, which seems to be done for sarcasm's sake at times. Evaluating a president's policies and conduct would be so much more beneficial. But the cultural divide in this country runs very deep. It should! Thousands of people are worlds apart when it comes to the value of human life, the role of government - the list goes on. The issues are important and the outcome is crucial to future generations. I don't think ANY president is capable of uniting us over the long term. When Bush was re-elected I remember hearing some say that they felt like strangers in their own country. Well, that feeling wasn't new or unique - many of us felt that way during the Clinton years.
When the country/congress is so divided NOTHING gets done, it doesn't matter WHO is in the White House. What has this congress accomplished, nothing but standing around trying to keep the other party from getting what they want. It would be nice to have a president who can get SOMETHING done. I like Obama's ideas of helping with college tuition in return for community service. Kids need to be contributing to the community. I like giving tax breaks to companies who can keep jobs in America. I think we need to keep more jobs here. We wonder about the trade deficit and then send jobs overseas. Crazy. A president who can unite, like Reagan did at times during his tenure, will get something accomplished. I'm sorry, if Hillary gets elected, no R. will work with her. And if McCain gets elected no D. will. So we have four more years of bickering...and hours spent worrying about what baseball guy did steroids. Oh, brother.
I'm also a little tired of the liberal bias that says because someone is a Baptist preacher he must be stupid. This "He doesn't believe in evolution, gravity or photosynthesis." comment was neither helpful nor constructive. It only tells the ignorance of the person commenting.
Post a Comment