Friday, February 16, 2007

Lists

I'm one of those list types. I love lists. They affirm me. And, yes, I will occasionally even write down jobs that I've already finished just for the satisfaction of crossing them off. I get very pleased with myself when I've accomplished my whole list. Happy. Productive. I've kept a journal off and on since 1985, and many of those early days were recitations of what I accomplished that day. Once the third baby was born, the journal went, but the lists kept going. I think sometimes, too, those lists and the jobs they represented became (and still do) some kind of spiritual affirmation as well. "God must really be happy with me now. Look at all I did today."

However, there are those days when I don't accomplish much. I'm depressed. I have a bad headache. I'm just unenergetic. No one is going to see what I do, or care, I feel. It doesn't matter. I can do it later. Then I feel that God is not happy with me. But I forget grace. One with a personality like mine needs to be reminded. Milton in "On His Blindness" wrote: "God doth not need either man's work or his own gifts..." I guess I feel as Milton did sometimes, "lest he returning chide;" I need to remember to be faithful in as little or as much as I have to do and that my place in God's eyes is never based on what I accomplish. I don't earn his pleasure. I never would if I had to!

The lesson of the lists!

I've been home since Monday, well, not subbing anyway. Yes, we did get a snow day. Den had to be out to the airport by 6:30 that morning, so he carved a path through the snow with the car. By the time Andrew and I got up it was covered. We got it all cleaned up shortly after lunchtime. Then we drove out to pick up the 9 dozen roses that the senior class was selling for Valentine's day. Lovely!

This week's Bible study for my class was Psalm 34. An excellent Psalm, and one of my favorites. I had them look up what God is and does, and what we do. Lots and lots of verbs in that Psalm. We did some cutting and pasting of the phrases which ended up being a mess since the younger (9yo) boys can't cut and paste very well. (There are things to be said for that repetitive coloring and cutting of kindergarten!!) However, when finished, they had one sheet of verse telling everything God did for them, and another of what they're response is. An excellent reminder to us all! Try it.

Making pizza for dinner. Will just "Skyped" (make it a verb!) us to ask about making pasta sauce. Yeah, passing on the tradition. Any girl that marries into this family will have to take a couple of cooking lessons!

After a bitter cold week (again!) we are into double digits (F) today, and tomorrow should get over freezing. The frigid weather makes us want to huddle under blankets and read. Finished another Brother Cadfael story... And my plants keep it cheery with their greenery.

Andrew finished his final research paper of high school. I'm sure he is relieved about that!

Found a link to the newest James Ward music with the New City Fellowship choir. Go here to listen to samples of it. It will PICK YOU UP!

No comments: