Sunday, February 4, 2007

What Happened to Sunday Evening Services?

When I was growing up we went to church Sunday morning and Sunday night. Rarely did we miss. Sometimes we would go to a church closer to our house instead of to our own, but we always went. It was just something we did without thinking. Because we lived in the country, the service started at 8pm. Can you believe that? We'd get home from church at nearly 10!

We moved to Scotland and went to Sunday evening service there. I had babies then and Denny would stay home with them most of the time. I then would go to my friend's and have tea, visit and sometimes sing Psalms with another friend. What a wonderful memory!

In Italy we were blessed to have neighbors across the hall who were also from a PCA church. For nearly five years we had our own Sunday evening service alternating houses and sermon tapes. I think our whole family enjoyed those evenings. It trained our children to sit and listen, and they learned lots of hymns from the blue Trinity hymnbook since we sang for the first hour. More great memories. Isn't wonderful how God blesses us everywhere?

Then we moved to America. No more Sunday evening services. We have had them at our church sporadically. Now we don't have them anymore. Why are our churches giving up Sunday evening service? No one comes.Hmmm. Is that a good reason? Does it not pay for the pastor to prepare anything? Does it not pay to turn the lights on and the heat on for a few? What happened to "Remember the Sabbath DAY to keep it holy"? The Sunday evening service gave a peaceful ending to the Lord's Day. It kept the day different ALL day. Now, when families get home from church, it's Saturday again. Really. Change your clothes. Turn on the TV. Pick up where you left off on Saturday. Yeah, it takes effort to get up and go back to church at night. In the winter it's dark. Our church makes a big push to get people out for Wednesday evening study groups and prayer meetings. And that's all well and good, but Sunday is the day set apart for God. The holy day.

Sorry, I don't mean to be cynical. I just wonder why? Who's responsible? Just something to think about.

Back to Super Bowl Sunday.....

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I think the reasons you list are the cause. I also think that so many people lead such stressful lives now that after they "fellowship with the saints" they feel the need to spend the rest of Sunday doing whatever they think is needed to "re-charge." Of course, true worship is the best way to accomplish that.

I have to add that some of the most meaningful and (hopefully) God-honoring times of worship for our family have been when we spent a portion of Sunday afternoon or evening at home in extended prayer, singing and study of the Word.

That said, your experiences sound lovely, and I know that attending Sunday evening services are a meaningful tradtion for many.

Anonymous said...

I never liked Sunday evening services. Then or now. Sorry to pop your bubble. We have had our small groups on Sunday evenings. But I don't think that is the reason for not having them!! I don't think the leadership sees them as important (because they don't show up either!) No one wants to discuss the 'why' for fear of coming across as legalistic. I really don't think there is anything to prove everyone has to show up at a particular building to validate the Sabbath, but I am sure if noon is the 'end of our worship' people go on to other things. I also think that there have always been cultural dictates, rightly or wrongly. Often that is the time when a lot of families gather and that takes time; everyone has to get off to work at school by 8:00 the next morning and things have to be ready. So.... things change.