Sunday, September 9, 2007

Meditation on the Sunday sermon

Probably most of us are thinking of something as we listen to the Sunday morning sermon. Some may think of the week ahead, some the week past, some of our cares, but hopefully, in spite of all this thinking we think something of the morning message. I'll admit, my mind does wander, but I do think about what the minister is saying, too. Today's message was on Psalm 1. A psalm our mother taught us, and one I taught my children, so it's very familiar--in more than one version, as well as the Scottish metrical psalms.

A few responses/reactions went through my mind today. First of all, how easy it is for us and our children to listen to (walk in) the counsel of the ungodly. I mean the media, news and otherwise, are constantly bombarding us, unless we're living some kind of hermit existence. We hear their point of view all the time, so it's nearly impossible NOT to listen. So what does it mean? And then of course there's the progression. Once we start listening, we stand there, and then we get comfortable. Am I comfortable (Tolerance) with the viewpoint of those around me without the light of Christ? Does the conservative or liberal viewpoint make me comfortable? Can I support those whose viewpoint blatantly goes against what the Scripture teaches? Do I end up in the scoffer's seat scoffing at other believers?

The next verse led me to other thoughts. "His delight is in the law of the Lord". So many times since I was a child I've heard that this meant something about being really happy reading the Bible. I should be more ready to read my Bible than to do anything else. And of course it gets compared to sports, books, etc. But that doesn't really make sense to me. What kind of person just sits around reading his Bible? That's not what life is about. Life is about reading it and LIVING it. And that's where this verse fits in with the verses in the beginning. That "law of the Lord" where my delight is, is my lens, the window through which I see/hear everything around me. I am happy to know what pleases God because this will keep me from ending up as a scoffer. And I know my heart, I want to scoff, but this also shows me (thanks to that law of God) that my heart is proud, and I need to listen. Listen to the law of the Lord, not to the cacophony of voices around me.

The beginning and the end of the Psalm are positive and give me the reason for and result of delight. "blessed"-real happiness and contentment, and God's presence with me always. We all want to be truly happy. Then let the perfect law of the Lord permeate everything we do, whether it's watching football, reading Harry Potter or cleaning my house. All the while thanking God and praying without ceasing. Boy, THAT will make me happy!

2 comments:

K said...

happy, and blessed.
Read AND walk- exactly!

YAY! 3 new sperlonga posts! She's back! :-)

Happy week ahead.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rachael Dear, you are so thoughtful and wise! How I love to read your ideas! They are so inspiring and motivating! Thank you, dear friend! Judy