Thursday, June 5, 2008

History before our eyes


No matter what your political views are, we saw history being made on Tuesday evening as the first African American won the nomination for the Democratic party ticket. It would be great if Martin Luther King would have lived to see this day.





I started taking photos after dinner while the count rapidly declined. We were all watching the numbers come in. This one is around 7pm










This is the first photo after South Dakota counts started coming in. I had to get the "Breaking News" headline.



This last photo isn't very good, I don't know what caused the black line. I had it in several. Probably the angle of the screen to the camera. I had to get this headline.

I feel, in a way, this is like watching the first man walk on the moon. And because we didn't have TV growing up, I never saw that.


To go along with the story, Will went to the Sarpy County Democratic Convention last evening (while the tornado warning sirens blared). He really enjoyed it. Said there were about 77 people there, mostly older. One couple he talked to said they had been coming to these since the 60's!!! What changes they had seen. He said he told them, "Bet you saw a lot of empty rooms!" That got a good laugh. One guy was a 25 year old running for some county office. Will is going to be a delegate to the state convention in Fremont the end of June! Cool! The Democratic Party is so small in Nebraska, probably everyone knows everyone!!!

4 comments:

linneaminich said...

cool, pictures of the television. yeah, I'm still really excited about this! and that's great Will's going to be a delegate at the state convention.

dyount said...

Condi Rice was asked what she thought. She got a big smile on her face and said something like,"We live in a great country."

Emily said...

I LOVE Condi Rice! I would def. vote for her! I saw you were getting a storm the other night. We also had some bad storms on Wed. night. I kept watching the weather and they were showing how Omaha was getting severe weather.

Julie said...

What a fun post! You're right, it is so exciting to be able to witness this part of history.