Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Say Goodbye to Rosemary

Looks like it's all over for this poor rosemary. I first bought her (and her sister) eight years ago. They have thrived over the years. I divided and repotted them after two or three years, then repotted a couple more times. I put them in these pots two years ago. They thrived into lovely Italian mountainside-like bushes. But, alas, during this winter they began the decline. I put them in front of different windows, and it could be that they didn't get enough sunlight there. Or they are just rootbound. The "deader" one has less soil in the pot. I didn't add new soil last year, and I probably should have. It's old anyway. I guess it was time.

The sister plant isn't doing too badly, though. Only one part of it has died and the new growth looks good. I probably should do something with the soil this year, but the plant is big and heavy and it will take a lot of work to pull it out, shake off old soil and add new stuff. We'll see. I switched to fiberglass pots. Terracotta was WAY too heavy!

So I've bought a "baby" rosemary. Actually this is two plants that I put together. It's a trailing one, however, so it won't look the same. But isn't it lovely, fresh and green. Yummy roast potatoes coming up!

1 comment:

diber said...

I had a little window box of herbs nailed up outside my kitchen window in New Orleans. I had the worst time keeping my little rosemary plant alive. It was always just barely hanging on.

The April after Hurricane Katrina, we went back to NOLA and drove by the apt. Wouldn't you know, the abandoned rosemary was flourishing!