I am hearing lots of praise for the new VP selection. I think Sarah Palin is a great woman! It is exciting that she has been chosen. My problem with her as McCain's choice is that, in our family and in our church family, we are encouraging young moms who have been highly educated to put off going to get a PhD or staying in careers, and to be at home with their children. We keep reminding them that it is so worth it to be home those few years with their children. They will never get this opportunity again.
But then what happens? All the conservatives(myself included) who have said this all along are jumping up and down with joy over a woman who goes against all we've been telling them. What do we do now? Tell women like my niece and my friend to forget what we just said, and go for that career? After all Sarah Palin is leaving her baby to stump for the next two months. I really don't like that message. I would rather he had chosen a woman who was older and whose children were my children's ages. She doesn't believe in abortion, but what kind of family life does she or can she have as vice-president? And should we just encourage our girls that they CAN have both family and career? Does nothing suffer?
6 comments:
I know! I've been obsessing about that all weekend.
I mean, I want to be all progressive and everything, but you only get your little kids once. I just look at Marlowe and think, wow, her baby is just weeks older.
I think every family is different, and I know she's got a great support system in place. But still...I'm not jumping up and down. (Besides, I'm voting for Obama anyway)
--Alluded Niece
"I would rather he had chosen a woman who was older and whose children were my children's ages."
Someone like HILLARY!!???
HAHAHA!!!!!!
I am struggling with that, too! I will vote for McCain-Palin because I agree with them on the issues, but boy, this is hard.
I think the exact same thing. I really think Sarah Palin is a neat gal, I just don't think this is what she should be doing right now. I really think the message being sent is anti-family.
Amy
I am still ruminating over this. She would be, as she said in her speech last night, an advocate in the White House for disabled children. She is also pro-life. The alternative is to vote for a pro-choice candidate, and policies reflecting that view horrifically affect multitudes of children.
She stands for all the things we stand for-all those values that have long since gone by the wayside. She is a superwoman and can very obviously balance family with a life in politics. Besides, her husband can do what any wife does to keep a family together. Lets not judge her or place our values and standards on her but rejoice that such a gem has appeared on the Republican ticket.
Post a Comment