Years ago when our kids were little, we had a tape of a story of a little tree. It was cute and a little corny, but the other day when we planted this tree, I reminded Andrew of that story. So we have our own "little tree". This tree started as a volunteer from a little helicopter seed that flew into the loose soil up next to the house in the front garden. We kept saying we needed to get it out of that spot since it couldn't stay there. It's a silver maple that grows all over the place here in NE. Finally, we got around to digging it up. It won't be a strong tree since it has that split/divided trunk like that, but it's free. Saturday was a brilliant sunny warm day as were the next two days. We got it dug out and planted. Yesterday it began RAINING. I heard we've had 3 inches so far and it's still rainy today. It hasn't wilted, and new leaves are still coming out. Yeah, I know, spring is a dumb time to dig it out and plant it, especially since it already started to leaf out. We'll see what happens. A new tree is lovely, though, isn't it? If it survives, we'll remember that we planted it the year Andrew graduated from high school.
"The Road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began." J.R.R. Tolkein
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Little Tree
Years ago when our kids were little, we had a tape of a story of a little tree. It was cute and a little corny, but the other day when we planted this tree, I reminded Andrew of that story. So we have our own "little tree". This tree started as a volunteer from a little helicopter seed that flew into the loose soil up next to the house in the front garden. We kept saying we needed to get it out of that spot since it couldn't stay there. It's a silver maple that grows all over the place here in NE. Finally, we got around to digging it up. It won't be a strong tree since it has that split/divided trunk like that, but it's free. Saturday was a brilliant sunny warm day as were the next two days. We got it dug out and planted. Yesterday it began RAINING. I heard we've had 3 inches so far and it's still rainy today. It hasn't wilted, and new leaves are still coming out. Yeah, I know, spring is a dumb time to dig it out and plant it, especially since it already started to leaf out. We'll see what happens. A new tree is lovely, though, isn't it? If it survives, we'll remember that we planted it the year Andrew graduated from high school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'd think that spring is a great time to plant a tree.....and hurray for Andrew! I always missed track meets at Cono because I always cooked Saturday dinner!
Post a Comment