I know I haven't written a blog for awhile. I have lots of things I think about, but haven't had the willingness to sit down at the computer and write anything. I do keep a journal, and when I'm substituting I have time to catch that up. It's a curl-up-with-a-book type of experience because I can sit comfortably and write. Our computer at home has me sitting at a desk which isn't too relaxing for writing.
One of the many things I'm thinking about is an old high school friend who died tragically a couple of weeks ago. David was jogging, got too close to the edge of a cliff and fell over. It's very sad for his family, and for those of us who knew him, to know that he's gone. But we are happy that he will never sit for years in a nursing home some place, or suffer pain with some incurable disease. Like his sister wrote, one minute he was looking a God's beautiful creation, the next at His face. Wow.
I've tried to photograph old photos, but I will scan them and post them later. He's in our photo in NYC with a mini-football screwed into his ear. I also have one of him looking up at the window where Lee Harvey Oswald sat as he shot JFK. Another of Tom and Kathy with him at graduation, and of course at the Junior/Senior banquet our senior year. I made him a tie out of the same fabric as my dress. (We sewed our prom dresses back then!) And he is holding a "No Parking" sign thinking it was really funny. We were great pals in high school. He started at our school when we were in eighth grade, though I don't remember much about him that year. He was a missionary kid from Peru. He was a fun and crazy guy that always made us laugh, BIG smile. He called me crazy, and I called him crazy. In a way, he was kind of like Dennis. We studied together reciting The Lord's Prayer in French for French homework, studying for Physics tests, memorizing poetry for English. We rode together (along with scads of other kids!) back and forth from choir concerts, weekend trips and Chemistry and Physics in Waterloo. I told friends I would have married him if he had asked! *smile* He never did! Hadn't seen him for nearly 14 years, but always hoped there would be another time to catch up.
I'm so thankful for my years in a Christian school. As I get older, I am more and more thankful for the friends that I made there. And those of you who read this, I'm thankful for you, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment