Monday, December 1, 2008

Celestial wonders


Tonight's sky holds an amazing view. The crescent moon clustered with Venus and Jupiter. From what I've read, Venus is the brighter star.
I heard about this earlier in the day, but it was so dark and cloudy, I didn't think it would clear off for us to see it. But, sure enough shortly after sunset, the sky cleared and this first photo is what I captured.






It was still so amazing after dinner, I had to go out and try to get another one.













This last photo is intended to give some kind of perspective. I zoomed the lens in for the first ones, but this one I left it a little wider in order to catch the neighborhood lights in the distance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw the moon and the two planets too here at the farm. It was so bright on the crisp, cold night!

Anonymous said...

Leah and Catherine were looking at it last night too with the binoculars!

linneaminich said...

oh yeah, I saw that on my way home from Chattanooga. Amazing! It was even more beautiful because the weekend had been so rainy. I pulled into a gas station out of the rain and in the southwest I saw a little clear patch where the sun was going down and the moon and those two stars were visible.

Anonymous said...

I saw it on Saturday on our way to Q-ville and I said mine husband, "Are those stars or planes??" After watvhing them for a half hour, I concluded they were stars. Tonight I saw them around 5:30 anf then when I went out again at 7, they were no where in sight! Ubi iverunt?