Monday, December 15, 2008

Disappointments, His appointments

I think that title came from a Phil Keaggy song that we heard way back when. I thought it sort of fit what I read this morning in my devotions.

Jonah was part of the reading, and I was struck with the phrase, "God appointed". It's used several times. I take great comfort in God's sovereign control over all things. It gives me peace to know that HE APPOINTS, not fixes! In the book of Jonah God tells Jonah to go to Nineveh. He doesn't, but tries to leave the presence of the LORD. He even tells his shipmates that's what he's doing!

However, God always gets His work done so, first of all He (I like this translation) "hurls a great wind". God controls the wind. Eventually the sailors decide to throw Jonah into the sea and "God appointed a great fish".

Jonah repents, goes to Nineveh; they repent. And Jonah pouts. But God still has lessons for Jonah to learn so "the LORD God appointed a plant" to keep Jonah cool, then "God appointed a worm" to kill the plant. Jonah's mad again. Then "God appointed a scorching east wind". Wow. God controls fish (the Bible also says God talked to the fish!), the plants, the worm, and the wind. All to help Jonah to see His sovereign control in all things and love for His people.

What has God appointed for me today? "Despise not the day of small things!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Creator' is a Latin word theat means 'one whio appoints'. pronounced "Cray-ah'-tor"!