Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Caught up with the day

Finally, I got my whole job list done, and I can relax for awhile. Al, my friend from high school, is coming tonight with his daughter and her volleyball team to play in the national homeschool volleyball tournament held here in Omaha. Looking forward to having them here! Well, only part of them actually HERE.

It's Halloween. I've never been a fan of Halloween. It's usually Denny who passes out the treats. And he isn't here this year! Andrew had some of his friends over, so we had a bonfire and cooked out hamburgers and hotdogs. The weather is PERFECT for that. This was Andrew's perfect fire, started from scratch with no artificial help! I'm sure it made a difference this time that it hasn't rained in nearly two weeks! He looked like a young Abe Lincoln swinging that hammer wedging the log apart. And what a satisfying crunch as it pulled apart. I can't figure out how he manages to hit that wedge square on! Guess he could go live in the woods now. There is something about a fire that nudges quiet conversation on into the night. One of these days, I'LL get to sit by the fire with my friends. For now, I don't want to crash the party...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried to split wood? It is really hard! The hardest part is getting the dumb ax out of the wood when it didn't go all the way through!!!!

yolie said...

The weather is perfect indeed for a bonfire! That's what the college kids are doing tonight at Steve's. Gabe's off to a fall retreat, and Manny is hunting (yet again). Ah, autumn!