Thursday, January 10, 2008

New post at last!

Has it been nearly a week already? I go to my friends' blogs and don't see new ones, so I thought MY friends might like to read something new. Here you are folks!

Monday Will left for school. I don't know why, but I always have a meltdown after he leaves. I guess the holiday time is over and our family is spread out again. I also clean up after Christmas, put away all the decorations, vacuum, mop. Some of THAT is dealing with emotional energy, I'm sure. I did get out and have lunch that day with a friend which was a good thing!
The living room is all clean and tidy once again. These rosemary bushes....I don't know what to do with them. I've shoved them into the corner between the south and east windows hoping that they'll still get enough sunlight to keep them happy and still be out of the way.

Tuesday and Wednesday I finally got to sub at OCA. Ah, it's like being with family to get back over there. Wednesday was three periods for the history teacher. I like doing his classes because he lets me write lessons. So for world history we did Roman emperors from Nero to the five good emperors. I read a lot of Josephus the night before, so most of the lesson was on Vespasian and Titus and what went on in Jerusalem. Matthew 24 gives hints. Pretty awful during that seige. (And kids love to hear gory details!) American history was the Jackson era. The presidency took some interesting turns during his tenure. I loved studying for those lessons as well as teaching them. And I love those students there, too. I came home happy.

An interesting linguistic note. I taught 6th grade English first hour and the vocabulary lesson taught that "till" meaning "until" and "till" meaning "to cultivate the soil" are homonyms. I've never seen that first usage as a word in itself before, as in "I couldn't wait till Christmas." Is this a new development?

It's dark and cold this morning, think I'll read.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So.... you sleeping or something? I think I have used 'till' and 'until' interchangeably all my life! While I am banging on this keyboard, Mr. Noe' popped into my head. Can you imagine what he would do to a keyboard like this???? I almost blogged this morning. I have worked 3 days this week and it's looking pretty shabby around here. I substituted Tuesday. I understand that 'family' feeling! I'm going out to lunch with a friend I haven'rt seen in about a year and I haven't gone out to lunch (or anything else) for ages! Looking forward to it! Love, nin

K said...

I always thought that it was "'til" (as in an abbreviation for until)...

I guess it would be a homonym of till (as in the soil), but only because it sounds the same, not because it is SPELLED the same.

Just one girl's opinion... :-)

sperlonga said...

Precisely! I talked to teachers at lunch after and they all agreed, use the ' before "til" and it showed a contraction, well, type of contraction. Surprised to find it in a textbook. (Publisher ACSI, I believe. just a caveat!)

Sharon said...

Oh, boy, I'll have to stir it up a little. My Associated Press stylebook says "till or until. But not 'til."

sperlonga said...

More uses of till... This morning in my Bible reading says, "call his wickedness to account till you find none."
Guess it's been in use, but it still is an abbreviation no matter how it's used!

sperlonga said...

Of course there's also the the use, "I'm going till the shop."!!

Anonymous said...

"Till we mee-ee-eet
Till we meet at Jesus' feet"

English is a slippy language