Thursday, January 25, 2007

Robbie Burns Day

I meant to write about Robert Burns all day today. I can't have a title like I do and not say anything about Robert Burns day! I was going to have "haggis and neeps" for dinner, but I didn't know where I could find the haggis. Really, it does taste good. Haven't had it over here, though. You know, Burns is the guy who wrote Auld Lang Syne and My Love's Like a Red, Red Rose just to name a couple. I have to put one of his poems here just to juggle your memory about high school English class. .....
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I
And I will luve thee still my dear
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Lovely, isn't it? We didn't appreciate him in 12th grade English. At least I didn't. I was more into Elizabeth Barrett Browning...*smile*!

Not only is it Burns' birthday, but my nephew Sam (brother of diber) turned 21 today! woohooo! I'm sure he celebrated it quietly with his family... A man's a man for a' that!!!

AND my good friend Mairead, in Scotland. I won't say how old she is. Happy Birthday! I'd put her picture in here, but you can see it if you go to flickr and look at the Scotland wedding pictures. She's the mother of the bride. And a lovely one she is, too!

"And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught, for auld lang syne!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaw ... my mum has her birthday remembered around the world!