I've just about given up writing anything today. My computer is soooo slow! Argh. I typed in my blog name and it took me to McDonald's.com! What's with that?
Ah, the button just clicked up, water's hot. Just a minute....back. I made a pot of Earl Grey this morning to drink while I wrote my friend Elizabeth. Now I think I'll drink Passion, hmm. Linnea left her Tazo, so I'm enjoying it. It would spoil if I saved it for her. Today's the kind of day for tea. Cold. Blustery snow showers, wind advisory. And another day of not substituting. After spending my morning reading blogs and writing the letter, I took off for the library and got books by Elizabeth Goudge and Ellis Peters. These are my light, fun reading. Really, I do read other stuff, but cold winter days lend themselves to relaxing reading. And when I substitute, it's easier to read light stuff if I can't concentrate.
So what do I think about on these days at home? Well, lots of things. And I may post about some. I wrote a paper a few years ago about single-sex schools and classrooms. Now we're hearing more and more about that. Interesting. Almost sounds like I'm reading my paper when I read about it. I guess some law has just changed opening the door for more schools to go that route. [ oooo, pink tea!] More later..
Along the same, or related to that is the idea of developing leadership skills in our young men, at Christian schools particularly. How are we training our boys in Christian schools to be leaders? The tendency since the Fall is for women to push to take charge and for men to sit back and let them. More and more girls are class and student body presidents. How can we encourage our young men to WANT to be in charge? And be gracious, courageous leaders? Another topic for later...
Also, I think about what it means to be a "middle-aged" woman, nearly empty nester. What is the next stage of life? What should I be doing now? And why can't I think clearly, sleep, have energy, and all the while feel so crabby sometimes?? Another stage of life...
And then I remember Psalm 139:13-16 "For you formed my inward parts; ....My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret...your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written every one of...the days that were framed for me, when as yet there were none of them." My personality and temperament were formed by God. And God wrote down every one of all the days that he would give me, before I was even born. That last part is assurance to me for my family's safety. Not one of us will die before all the days He has ordained for us are complete! No such thing as an "untimely death" in God's eyes.
Will should be enjoying Slovakia right now. And this Passion tea is yummy.
4 comments:
Hi, Rachel!
I am slowly getting caught up reading your comments, and enjoying them all. Good blog!
Oops! I know its RACHAEL! Sorry!
yeah, I love the passion tea, it's so strong for an herbal tea, and it's so red.
You know, one day a couple of Januarys ago I got sick and needed to go see my reflexologist (the only one capable of making me feel better!) I didn't want Joel to miss work, but I could only think of one woman who wasn't old or a young mother that I could ask for help. I asked and she did, but it impressed on me that it is the old and the young propping each other, and may the rest of us, up. The "middle-ers" are working their heads off, crazy busy. Probably trying to keep their kids in college. There are lots of people who can use someone fairly unencumbered now and then. And then it just takes Joel and I more work to keep each other propped up! The paper work seems thicker than it used to be. I want to learn new things, too. I want to learn to play the dulcimer, I want to learn Spanish. I really want to sing again, seriously. I want to have lots of company and I want to finish a couple Latin books I started. Grace is going to write a book. She is applying for a grant so she can afford to do it! I hope I get a fresh copy.
Post a Comment