I'm a big fan of Roland Martin on CNN. Today he has an article about vouchers. The current candidates split along the traditional party line view. Republicans think it will solve all problems while Democrats think it will destroy public education. (So?) Roland says neither is true. However, students that are locked into a failing school don't have the TIME for the system to get fixed. It's been broken for decades, and we keep pumping more and more money into it, hoping that will make a difference. It never does. R. also goes on to say that the one system isn't the best solution for everyone. I've experienced public school, home school and Christian school for each of my children and even at different times in their lives. More parents need to have that opportunity. It seems very racist in a way to say that those inner city children, who are predominately minorities, should not even have a chance at a good education simply because of where they live and the neighborhood school. Granted, we need to get good teachers there, get parents involved and committed to their children's education, but there is no time to waste! These kids are floundering NOW. Let's hope the Democratic Party, and their African-American candidate, listen to African-Americans who are for vouchers. Obama certainly doesn't need the money or the endorsement of the NEA!!!
Personally, I'm not sure I'm for vouchers, but I am for CHOICE! Why is it "choice" when you can kill your unborn child, but "bankrupting the system" if you want to be able to choose a better school for that child???
4 comments:
wow! according to the link, the candidates raised aprox. $78 MILLION in June. MILLION!! In one month. wow! think of all the things that $$$ could be used for...
somehow, it just doesn't seem right. just one girl's opinion...
We were talking about that at my in-laws last week. It doesn't seem right that we spend so much money on these elections and most of us are just trying to make ends meet and put gas in our cars! Something is wrong with this picture. 78 million is a lot and that was just one month! yikes!
As a white person who lives in the inner city and sees how bad the school systems are here (ours has been taken over by the state, as has Kansas City's) I want to know what the hold up is for letting me keep my own money I pay in taxes on my property. I would pay for the homeschooling curriculum and then some.
Why is it "choice" when you can kill your unborn child, but "bankrupting the system" if you want to be able to choose a better school for that child???
AMEN to that one! I've been saying that for years!
Post a Comment