Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Mother's heart


No matter how many times I do it, it is never easy to take my children to the airport and have them leave. Will left this afternoon about 1. He should be nearly to Atlanta by now. I was a basket case all morning. I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep last night. Good thing I planned to go grocery shopping or I would have been TOTALLY useless today. Once they're gone, I'm fine. I get used to them being gone, and it doesn't bother me. One thing that helps and that is I remember how I felt going back to college...and it felt GOOD! I was always so excited to get back to all my friends and those good times! Some of my friends here avoid the pain of separation by having their children go to school here in town or within a couple of hours. But that seems to limit our children's experiences and the enrichment that new people and places can give them. Also, letting them go away helps them mature and learn to be responsible and care for themselves. Builds independence, and that's our goal in the first place! I keep preaching to myself....

My friend Deborah is looking forward to her son returning from Iraq. He's already on his way home. He and Will were little boys together molti anni fa! And Andrew's history teacher's son also is back from Iraq. We're so thankful for these safe returns!

2 comments:

Linnea said...

hey! you cut me and mr. snowman out of the picture.

Sharon said...

As the mother of an only daughter, I confess that it is my heart's desire that she attend college close to home. I do know that I must remain as neutral as possible (with regard to location)while she explores the options (this means not only watching my words, but also my tone of voice and body language when she mentions certain possibilities). That said, it is entirely possible that God's will for her is to remain in this area or close to it. We'll know as we pray and pay attention to his guidance. I'm happy to report that I am increasingly at peace over this issue!