Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tidbits from Madeleine L'Engle

Last Monday I worked at Bellevue East. I've subbed in this particular room several times. It's sort of a help room for kids who can't handle a regular class load and need extra help. There are two para's in there and two certified teachers. I sub for a regular teacher, so there are others in there already that know the routine and take care of the few students that are in there. Usually there are no more than 6. So several days I've read books. One day last year I read all of O Pioneers and another day I read A Swiftly Tilting Planet, by L'Engle. So this week I thought I'd continue the L'Engle theme and I read A Wind in the Door. These are fantasy stories and I wasn't in to that genre when I was 12 which is when most kids read these stories. Frankly, I think we get a whole lot more out of them when we're adults.

Here are a couple of quotes that I wrote down after I realized that there were a lot of things I wanted to remember.

from p. 172
The temptation...for man...is to stay an immature pleasure-seeker. When we seek our own pleasure as the ultimate good, we place ourselves at the center of the universe. A man...has his place in the universe, but nothing created is the center.

and from p. 183 I think this is referring to absolutes or following what we know is right; Obedience.
It's only when we are fully rooted that we are really able to move.

Good thoughts from a good book.

1 comment:

linneaminich said...

yeah, that book especially is more for adults than for kids. it's so abstract and so full of ideas, but it has a lot of depth.